RE: single plate shear connections edge

Roger Davis wrote:

>>I called one of the engineers at AISC about that a few years ago.  I was
told that the reason for using 1 1/2" as the vertical edge distance was that
all of the testing had been done using that distance.  His feeling was that
you should not use the standard 1 1/4" distance unless you could prove that
it was okay.<<

And, if I recall correctly, the tests that were performed at the University
of Arizona all used either an odd number of bolts or an even number of bolts,
but did not test a mixture of odd and even number of bolts.  (I'm sorry, but
I can't remember which it was.  I'm going to have to look in the Engineering
Journal.)

Of course, there are other examples of limited tests becoming gospel in the
AISC Manual.  The tests that were performed for the "Ultimate Strength
Method" for eccentric loads on fastener groups (pg 4-57) and weld groups (pg
4-70) are based on a total of, IIRC, 6 tests each!

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona