RE: single plate shear connections edge distance

Such a modification will reduce the strength a little bit, but may have more of an impact on the available ductility in the connection. The parameteres on the shear tab you quoted are from the Astaneh procedure, which requires that ductile limit states (plate yielding, bolt bearing deformations) control over fracture limit states. The more you deviate from the prescribed geometric parameters, the more you deviate from the ductility level demonstrated in the tests. The further you get away, the closer you should be getting to assessing the strength of the connection with statics and strength of materials for the specific case you have, instead of trying to modify the Astaneh tabulations, which are based upon the prescribed parameters.

Charlie
-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Peoples [mailto:lvtakp(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 10:38 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: single plate shear connections edge distance

Our detailers have a question that I was unsure of the answer:  When doing single plate shear connections with 3/4" dia bolts (9th ed. p 4-54 or the Vol. II connections), would it be acceptable to use 1 1/4" vertical  edge distances at the top and bottom of the plate instead of 1 1/2"?  I am thinking that it would be reasonable to assume that the allowable load would multiplied by a ratio of the length of new plate over the length of plate in the tables since the proposed plate would be 1/2" shorter - conservatively assuming that the weld length controls.  If block shear controlled, I guess this approach would also be close.  Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates
2102 Main St. Suite 200
Northampton, PA 18067