RE: single plate shear connections edge distance

Title: RE: single plate shear connections edge distance

>.... it is my understanding that the tests used to validate this
>connection were based on "A36" steel for the plate.  I would
>be interested if AISC can confirm this.

Regarding Astaneh's work, this is correct. Wallace did further testing to validate plates with Fy = 50 ksi.

>If the tests were based on A36 steel for the
>plates how should we modify the designs to accomodate the much stronger
>material that is normally availible?

Plate material is still mostly A36. However, if desired, Wallace's work provides justification that 50 ksi plate material can be used. We're incorporated these results into the single-plate connections information for the next Manual.

 Charlie