RE: single plate shear connections edge distance

The AISC tabulated designs are valid for all grades of steel. Refer to LRFD
volume-II (page 9-149) & ASD Volume-II (page-4-52). Note that, ASD tables
X-A thru X-F support upto 7 rows of bolts with single column and LRFD table
9-10 support upto 9 rows of bolts.

Lutfur Khandaker

accomodated by yielding of the plate around the bolt.  As the bolt hole
elongates rotation of the end of the beam will occur.  I believe this to =
be
more restrictive than the usual connection design criteria, which would
suggest that the usual checks may not be adequate.

Because the bolt in this type of connection needs to be stronger than the=

plate a thicker plate would not always be conservative.

In addition it is my understanding that the tests used to validate this
connection were based on "A36" steel for the plate.  I would be intereste=
if AISC can confirm this.  If the tests were based on A36 steel for the
plates how should we modify the designs to accomodate the much stronger
material that is normally availible?