RE: Is it a shearwall or not??? Need some help

Ephraim

Considering AEC-Residential List is my own list - you are welcome as a
lurker or as any way you wish to participate.

I need to correct one of your comments. I never intended to use Gypsum for a
shearwall. The original construction of the wall is gypsum on both sides.
The first floor wall is about half the length of the second floor wall and
gypsum was used only on one side. The other is paneled - with a decorative
wood paneling about 1/4" in thickness - not what I would even consider a
shear element.

If I followed some of the advice I received, I should replace the capacity
of the wall that I am removing - even if it means assuming a value of gypsum
of 150-plf at each side which was code prior to 1994 UBC. Therefore, I would
need to increase the capacity of the remaining 18-feet of wall at the second
floor by the 27-feet of two-sided gypsum I'm removing (300-plf times 27-feet
or roughly 8100-pounds) ---- which seem unreasonable to me since the first
floor interior wall is most definitely inferior to accumulate shear from the
second floor wall as it exists.

I would tend to follow Martin Johnson's recommendation as well as yours,
Chris TSE and Rgrayaia@aol (Gary) and consider the wall to be non-shear
resisting based on it's definite weakness and the rationale of my previous
post.

Thanks again to all who replied. I appreciate the help - it gave me a LOT to
consider and weigh.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
Structural Engineering Consultant
structures(--nospam--at)engineer.com <mailto:structures(--nospam--at)engineer.com>
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax
ICQ #95561393