Re: Beam Reinforcement using Bolts

MIchael,

Reinforcing the ex. beam with channels in the flange is fine.

You got to ensure that there is enough anchorage of the channels beyond the
point where the reinforcement channels are not required, and the slip
critical bolts are connecting the top and bottom flanges of the beam to the
respective channel flanges.

Just of the top of my head, not being familiar with US beam sizes, this
seems to me as what we call in Australia as UC "universal columns", equal
web and flange size. These sections have good resistance against lateral
-torsional buckling. Perhaps, this section can span 9m without lateral
buckling. However, I can't see the plaster ceiling providing lateral
resistance

Cheers
Raghu S. Pendyala
Pendyala Consulting Civil and Structural Engineers
Phone + 61 414 252 021  (O), fax + 61 3 9884 5306
PO Box 420, Box Hill 3128 Vic Aust.
email: pendyala(--nospam--at)bigfoot.com
http://www.hotlinks.net.au/pendyala/