RE: Floor level of attached garages

There are no requirements in the UBC that I know of. However, I think the
roots of this feature go back to raised floor construction in the dwelling
area of the house which usually ended up being a few inches higher than the
concrete slab in the garage. However, the practice has carried on to the
houses where the entire floor is on slab, possibly to limit any type of
flooding or leakage to the dwelling area  from the items that are usually
stored in a garage.