Re: Floor level of attached garages

Peter
There is no specific requirement that states that the garage slab should be
below first level however, there is a couple of conditions that generally
implies the use of a foundation wall curb due to the following:
	1) Requirement for sloped garage floor to provide drainage to the outside.
	2) Water splash requirements of Sec 2306.13 of the 97 UBC
	3) the general 4 inches clearance required for weep screed if the finish
is stucco application
	4) Most contractors would prefer to set the sill plate on a curb, set the
stud height and forget about items 1 and 2 as stated above.
Hope this helps.
Samir Y. Ghosn, P.E.
Harris & Associates