Re: Cantilever System

Alfonso
I agree with Paul Feather's opinion.  The column being connected at the
lower roof and the foundation is a pin-pin connected beam with cantilever
at top (a propped beam).  It is a simple statics problem and than a matter of
being able to handle lateral forces thru the lower diaphragm and
controlling deflections.  With a few minutes of thought, I do not see a
discontinuity of Type 3, in Table 16-M.  Both upper and lower diaphragms
are acting independently, except, the columns transfer reaction from
upper to lower at discrete points.  Basically a drag connection and
designing for it.
Hope it contributes some.
Vinod Sahni, SE