Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Round HSS availability

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
HSS stands for Hollow Structural Sections, not High Strength Steel.
Tubes (TS) and Pipes now have a new name.  Many people are not yet aware
of this industry change.  I imagine that we will be using both the old
and new designations for years to come, similar to the name change for
WWF where the old 6x6 - 10/10 in now 6x6 - W1.4xW1.4.  We use the new
designation but still often get phone calls from contractor and owners
(expecially from the residential side) that do not know what the W1.4

Charles F. Espenlaub, III, P.E.
Martin-Espenlaub Engineering

-----Original Message-----
From: M Hariharan/engg [mailto:hariharan.m(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 1:48 AM
Subject: Re:Round HSS availability

By HSS I presume you mean High Strength Steel. You may use API 5L Grade
52 or higher Grade pipes. Seamless pipes would be available upto 16"
diameter, and welded pipes for higher diameters. These are commonly used
for pipelines, and in the offshore industry.

M. Hariharan