Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
re Plywood Shear Walls[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "seaint" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: re Plywood Shear Walls
- From: "Mattesons" <matteson(--nospam--at)yosemite.net>
- Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 07:35:19 -0800
Another of my favorite mistakes in shear wall construction was doing what your clients are hoping for. Two layers of plywood were placed on the same side of the wall, but the top layer's joints were made in the "field" of the first layer--so the shear from BOTH layers was taken by only the first layer at these locations.
Assuming the holdowns really have the extra capacity (doubtful), you would be much better off just adding more nails to the existing panel edges. PRE-DRILL for these to prevent splitting the existing (very dry) studs.
- Prev by Subject: rapid screening procedures for seismic hazard
- Next by Subject: Re;Truss barcing
- Previous by thread: Re: Epoxy Grout for Rock Anchors
- Next by thread: "billets" and "mill"