RE: "billets" and "mill"

Frank,

The mill as used as a noun is the place where the steel is manufactured.

The elements of steel are melted in a furnace and fed into a ladle.  The
ladle molten steel is fed into a mold to cast ingots.  Either while hot or
after reheating, the ingots are reduced in section by rolling the ingot into
billets, blooms, or slabs.  The definition of billets, blooms, and slabs
depends on size and shape.  Billets range in size from 2x2 to 5x5.  Billets
are sometimes rolled from blooms.  Blooms and slabs are larger and are
formed at the primary mills.  Billets are generally transported to secondary
rolling mills where they are rolled to bars, wire, and small angles.  Shapes
are generally rolled from blooms.

Using "mill" as a verb is a bit different and describes a fabrication shop
operation.  Some columns were required to have milled ends to provide a
uniform bearing surface.  Older "hot saws" did not accurately cut a true
square end.  Milling was required to finish the end for bearing.  Shops of
the modern area are cold saws, and can be cut accurately enough in a single
operation to provide a true bearing surface.  Milling today is not generally
required.

Regards,
Harold Sprague