From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bpolhem(--nospam--at)swbell.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 9:06 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org; structx(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc; aec-residential(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc
Subject: QUERY: HSS Connections Manual Erratum?

HELP, my head is fuzzy from staying up until 2:00 PM local time to watch the
election returns.

Someone please check me, here:

On page 5-17 of the HSS Connections Manual (the 1997 "Black Book") at the
very
bottom of the page is an example of a calculation to check wall crippling
for a
cap plate connection to a W18 section.

At the end of the equation being calculated, they seem to use Fy of the W
section (in this example it is 36 ksi) rather than Fy of the HSS (which
would be
46 ksi). Is this a misprint, or am I missing something?

Hope Charlie or Harold or someone of equal genius with steel design can
check
this out for me.