RE: construction Drawings

David Fisher wrote:

>>I have a 20 person firm in Chicago.

I REQUIRE that ALL of my structural engineers (including ME) be adept at
AutoCAD. We have no "draftsmen", per se.

There are some very talented veteran "draftsmen" out there...don't get me
wrong.

(I worked with many at SOM-Chicago...some were actually pretty good
engineers
(with no formal training, of course), in fact.

However, with so many colleges teaching CAD, we hire only CAD proficient
engineers out of school.
And even the experienced engineers we hire from overseas must know AutoCAD
PRIOR to joining us.

Consequently, my entire staff is capable of doing a complete project, DESIGN
AND DRAFTING.

It produces a much better product in the end and your young engineers learn
much more about how things are built (after they've drawn some details,
laugh)

Its the only way to fly!<<

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Well said!

In the days of hand calcs and drafting, the engineer made a "sketch" of the
detail and gave it to the drafter (or the drafter was given a set of plans
for a similar project).  If, as in many cases, the "sketch" was drawn to
scale with the applicable notes and dimensions shown, the drafter oftentimes
just traced the detail and neatly lettered the dimensions and notes.  The
engineer actually did the drafting and the drafter transferred the
information to the plans.

With CAD, the engineer can just turn to his/her computer, instead of pulling
out a piece of paper, and draw the detail, complete with neatly lettered
dimensions, symbols, and descriptive notes.  No need to have it traced or
redrawn.  Since plans are nothing more than a compilation of various details,
all that remains is to insert the various elements on the appropriate sheets.

When an architect suggests that they do the drafting, I explain to them that
I have to do the same amount of work producing drawings that they can
incorporate on their plans as I would in doing the structural sheets.  With
that, they generally see that it is not going to save them any money.  A side
benefit is that I now have record prints or plots showing what I produced in
case anything is modified.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona