Re: Shearwall sill plate

In a message dated 11/8/00 5:27:06 PM, pfeather(--nospam--at)san.rr.com writes:
<< Is it plausible to allow additional 2x blocking to be installed between
the studs for a net thickness of 3" ?  The blocking would be nailed to the
sill plate for continuity. >>

I don't think that would help much at all, but you might consider cutting off
the bottom inch of the studs, removing the existing 2x bottom plate,
inserting a new 3x plate (with slots for the anchor bolts, of course), and
providing BP bearing plates on the anchor bolts.  This could be done in
sections without much problem.  I've done it before, though usually in old
buildings that are being seismically upgraded.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA