From: OTATSDGSE(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:OTATSDGSE(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 5:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Enercalc-Pole Embedment in Soil

Enercalc calculates the soil pressure at 1/3 depth by taking the full
calculated embedment depth, d.

UBC defines d as the "depth of embedment in earth in feet but not over 12
feet for the purpose of computing lateral pressure."

So, for d greater than 12 feet, Enercalc still takes the full d rather than
12 feet in calculating the passive soil pressure. This yields unconservative

results.

Does anybody know why? Am I missing something? I contacted Enercalc three
days ago, but received no response yet, and their office is closed till next

Tuesday.

Thanks in Advance.

***