Re: construction Drawings

In my office, we use several effective methods (but not foolproof) of
increasing drafting quality. My favorite is to get drafters more interested
in what they are doing. An example is to get your drafter out of the office
occasionally and let them see a job under construction -- particularly one
they drafted. This will help them have pride in their work and help see how
critical some details can be.

As far as on the job techniques, we have an in house rule that all redlines
must be individually marked off by the drafter prior to getting it back to
the engineer. This does help cut down the amount of double pick-ups. This is
not always implemented because engineers tend to just re-redline plans rather
that have drafting make sure that everything has been picked up. Bottom line
though is that it is up to the engineer to make sure that all redlines have
been picked up.

One downside to the engineers learning drafting is efficiency. This would be
ideal for minor pickups, but knowing most engineers, we would do a lot more
drafting than is economically feasible. Most of us charge more for
engineering time than drafting time (I hope)

Richard Dahlmann, P.E.