From: David Fisher [mailto:dfisher(--nospam--at)fplushse.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 3:33 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: construction Drawings

I have a 20 person firm in Chicago.

I REQUIRE that ALL of my structural engineers (including ME) be adept at
AutoCAD. We have no "draftsmen", per se.

There are some very talented veteran "draftsmen" out there...don't get
me
wrong.

(I worked with many at SOM-Chicago...some were actually pretty good
engineers
(with no formal training, of course), in fact.

However, with so many colleges teaching CAD, we hire only CAD proficient
engineers out of school.
And even the experienced engineers we hire from overseas must know
AutoCAD
PRIOR to joining us.

Consequently, my entire staff is capable of doing a complete project,
DESIGN
AND DRAFTING.

It produces a much better product in the end and your young engineers
learn
much more about how things are built (after they've drawn some details,
laugh)

Its the only way to fly!

Good Luck,

David L. Fisher, SE,PE