RE: loader surcharge at top of retaining wall

>Your first statement is a valid statement - but I'm not sure why you say it
>doesn't account for any kinetic energy. Isn't kinetic energy accounted for
>in the formula F=Ma?
Nope. There has to be an energy balance and momentum conservation. One
comes from thermodynamics, the other from Newton.

>F = Mass x acceleration = (weight/32.2 ft/sec^2) x (14.7/0.25 sec) = 1.83 W
>But I must admit that if the deceleration rate is, for example, 0.10
>seconds, the force increases to F = 4.6 W.
Exactly. The impact force du jour requires only that you guess the
corresponding acceleration.

>All-in-all
>the best one can do is get an "estimate" of the magnitude of load.
If it were easy they'd let anyone do it. ;->

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw