Re: Vortex Shedding

Vortex shedding occurs with any obstruction to fluid flow. The obstruction causes the streamlines to
converge and then diverge. The differential pressures due to convergence and divergence of the streamlines
causes "vortex shedding".

"I thought that vortex shedding only applies to
circular cylinders.  I don't know if it happens with building like
(rectangular) structures"
--
Raghu S. Pendyala
Pendyala Consulting Civil and Structural Engineers