RE: Filigree Wideslab

Jim,

I had extensive dealings with Filigree and wake up in the middle of the
night in terror.  Those dreams have become less frequent over the years.
Now, after your post,  I am back to therapy.

Seriously I saw that you already got the web site to Mid-States Filigree.
They are the good guys.  They know the theory,  they have the practice, and
they know what they are doing right down to the details.  I did about 6 or 8
buildings with the evil twin.

The spin off that went to Chicago and then to Kansas City were the outlaws.
They never got the patent rights held by Mid States so that UL assemblies
done with them are not enforceable.  There are several buildings in Kansas
City, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Chicago, Topeka, etc. that were done with the
outlaw brand of Filigree.  The group had a couple of different names with
Filigree included.  The outlaw was purchased and then dropped by a precaster
first in Chicago and then in Kansas City.  They had a tendency to not pay
their bills.

The basic method is sound (using precast and cast in place to form composite
reinforced concrete), and in the hands of qualified engineers the finished
structure was sound.  A few of the technical staff in outlaw Filigree were
very good, but the sales pushers were way over their head.

I could tell you horror stories.  But they are too gruesome for this list.
If you are going to use Filigree, take the high road, go with Mid-States,
and have pleasant dreams.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague