From: Ben Faircloth [mailto:benfair1(--nospam--at)home.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 9:05 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Welding Run-Off Tabs...

The new FEMA 353 Document requires that weld run-off tabs be removed(from
outboard of a beam flange for instance), and that the surface be finished to
500 micro inches.  AWS D1.1 requires that these surface types meet their
"SAMPLE 3" finish where;
Sample 4 = smoothest
Sample 1 = roughest

The steel fabricator has sent to my attention a "widget" from AWS that shows
examples of each roughness (SAMPLE 1-4).  The steel fabricator has told me
that they are finishing all of the surfaces from which weld run-off tabs
have been removed to "SAMPLE 3".

Can anyone help me bridge the gap between "SAMPLE 3" and 500 micro inches?
I expect that at some level "SAMPLE 3" has to be objectively defined(500
micro inches or something along those lines).

Thank you for you help,
Ben Faircloth