RE: loader surcharge at top of retaining wall

>The loader case probably does not have a large enegy input of this type
>since we are talking about primarily horizontal motion.
The energy is still 1/2 Mv^2, whether the impact is vertical or
horizontal.

The energy equations for the two cases are not the same because in the
vertical case potential gravitational energy is no longer a constant and
thus can not be dropped from the equation.