Re: A structural engineering journal

I agree that ASCE and similar journals do not usually have information
immediately useable by the practicing engineers.  That is not there
purpose.  The journals are intended to present state-of-the art research.
Some articles are trial balloons that don't fly.  But many of the journal
articles form the basis for code changes 5 or 10 years later.  Many of the
journal articles are referenced in code commentaries and textbooks.  It is
important to look at the journal articles as a possible glimpse of the
future codes.  Many  of our code "surprises" have been available in
journals long before they appear in codes.

For current trends of immediate practical interest, I like Structural
Engineer Magazine.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo

Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>@compuserve.com> on 11/16/2000