RE: A structural engineering journal

Majid Sarraf wrote:

>>I do not know about all researchers but I, for one, would be grateful to
consider opinions from practicing engineers, to achieve a complete,
practical and useful research project, and look forward to working with you
in delivering sound and quality engineering projects.<<

Ho boy!  You asked for it!  Here are a few that I can think of offhand:

Wood:

Split ring shear connectors have failed repeatedly under dead load alone by
shearing (in a chisel-like manner) the wood off of the ends of tension
members 25 to 30 years old.  Analyses indicate that connections should be
more than adequate for dead plus live loads using code permitted allowable
loads.

Elevated temperature effect on strength of wood.  Code commentary indicates
that elevated temperature adverse effects on wood strength are _generally_
reversible for temperatures between 68 deg. F and 150 deg. F, and cumulative
for temperatures above 150 deg.  The long term affect of temperature on wood
in the range of 68 deg. F and 150 deg. F needs to be investigated.  (May be
related to split ring problem.)

How does long-term (25 - 30 years) exposure to high temperatures and low
humidity (such as would be experienced in attics and roof construction in
the desert southwest) affect the engineering properties of wood?

Masonry:

What is the minimum reinforcing necessary for masonry to behave as
reinforced as opposed to unreinforced?

What is the (compressive) modulus of elasticity of masonry construction?  It
changes with each edition of the code.

Concrete:

Expand on Raucher's(sp?) (Texas Transportation Institute) research on banded
tendons in post-tensioned concrete and debunk the myth that distribution of
tendons is not relevant in P/T slab construction.

Effect of humidity on shrinkage of concrete:  Is concrete shrinkage due to
humidity more a function of absolute humidity than relative humidity?

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona