Re: A structural engineering journal

sscholl2(--nospam--at)juno.com wrote:

> I suggest that if the  editors of the ASCE Structural Journal wish to
> make the publication useful to practicing engineers that they reserve
> half of it for articles of interest and for practicing engineers to
> submit to.

That is not going to be of interest to ASCE. The purpose for the Structural
Engineering Journal is NOT to present practical information for the design
engineer, but to present esoteric and highly-specialized research done by folks
whose life revolves around doing nothing but research.

Sometimes the underlying principles are of practical use, but you will almost
never derive practical information from the publications themselves. They will
show up eventually (if they are deemed important enough) in the design codes at
some future time.

Essentially, you can look at the papers submitted to refereed journals like the
ASCE journals the same way you might look at individual legislative bills. Some
tiny percentage of them might eventually find their way into law, usually in a
markedly different aspect than they first presented.

As such, they are of some passing interest, but very little from a practical
standpoint.