Re: A structural engineering journal

Christopher is absolutely Wright! I have referred to a number of very old papers
as a starting point for some new designs, or to understand the theoretical
background. Generally, practice is a couple of decades behind theoretical
development.

The evaluation of an academic is often based on the number of research papers
published, and that is done by presenting partial results in each paper so that
the number of papers published is more. That said, is it not as if you get no
worthwhile info from all the papers. I am also not very impressed with the
current papers. Another item that is lacking is the interaction between
practicing engineers and academics. Academics are not interested in problems
which cannot be funded for research or cannot become topics worth publishing.
There is a conflict of interest.

I would presume that objective of ASCE in publishing different journals is to
address the interests of different categories of people in the profession.

Institution of Civil Engineers (UK) used to have alternate issues devoted to
theory and construction. AISC has different journals.

Some of the conference proceedings I have seen have a number of good, practical
articles. I think practicing engineers should devote some time to put down their
experiences and feedbacks in the form of papers and submit to the right journal.

Live and let live?

M. Hariharan