From: Bill Polhemus <bpolhem(--nospam--at)swbell.net>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: November 17, 2000 11:18:45 PM GMT
Subject: Re: A structural engineering journal

"Raghu S. Pendyala" wrote:

> It is as if the ASCE journal is only for Ph.D and academics. May be they are
> the ones who are sending articles to get published. Have practicing
> engineers been sending articles of interest to all other engineers. If you
> are a member of ASCE, you make the journal work for you.

No, that's not correct.

The only people who're going to get published in journals like this are those
who're doing applied research. Almost the ONLY people doing applied research
(and getting paid for it) are academics. Ergo, only academics are going to
appear in these journals.

True, you will sometimes see a co-author in the by-line who is NOT an academic,
but if you look closely you'll realize it's almost always a graduate student of
the main author, who has since graduated and gone to work for other than the
academic institution.

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com