Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
RE: A structural engineering journal[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: RE: A structural engineering journal
- From: "Jones, Mark A (Battle Creek)" <Mark.A.Jones(--nospam--at)jacobs.com>
- Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:15:31 -0800
-Bill Polhemus [mailto:bpolhem(--nospam--at)swbell.net] wrote > sscholl2(--nospam--at)juno.com wrote: > > I suggest that if the editors of the ASCE Structural Journal wish to > make the publication useful to practicing engineers that they reserve > half of it for articles of interest and for practicing engineers to > submit to. I like this idea. Might make me want to join ASCE. I've belonged off and on, still have not found very much practical use in their journals. Now, I join when the savings on the books exceeds the cost of membership. >That is not going to be of interest to ASCE. The purpose for the Structural >Engineering Journal is NOT to present practical information for the design >engineer, but to present esoteric and highly-specialized research done by folks >whose life revolves around doing nothing but research. Now for the engineering question.... why? Why can't it have useful articles and why can't we push ASCE to require that most of the articles have practical information. After all, isn't engineering defined as the APPLICATION of scientific and mathematical principles in real life. >Sometimes the underlying principles are of practical use, but you will almost >never derive practical information from the publications themselves. They will >show up eventually (if they are deemed important enough) in the design codes at >some future time. But if practicing engineers don't read it, by what process does it make it into the code?
- Prev by Subject: Re: A structural engineering journal
- Next by Subject: RE: A structural engineering journal
- Previous by thread: Equivalent frame Re: A structural engineering journal
- Next by thread: RE: A structural engineering journal