Equivalent frame Re: A structural engineering journal

My experience has been that the equivalent frame method gives very close
results to that of a FEM method used by a program such as SAFE. In fact
from equilibrium, the full load must be carried separately in each
direction (cut a panel along the points of zero shear so that it is
centered over a column). As stated by someone earlier, the FEM just gives
you a distribution of the forces along the slab width.

I don't think that analyzing the slab twice in two different directions
corresponds to designing for twice the load. If that was the case, nobody
would design using the equivalent frame method. I think it just means
doing two checks to make sure it works, but not adding the results of the
checks together.