Re[2]: CA Proposition 35

It is a California constitutional amendment to allow Caltrans and other public
agencies in California to contract with private consulting (e.g. architecture
and engineering) firms in addition to using in-house Caltrans and other
government employees.  In 1997 the Professional Engineers In California
Government (PECG) sued to prohibit contracting out since they argued it violated
the California constitution requiring a viable or strong civil service (I forget
the exact wording).  The California Courts (judges) extrapolated that meaning to
prohibit contracting out.  Caltrans has not contracted out design services since
then, and the trend was spreading rapidly though out other California and local
agencies.  If you're not from California, I'm sure you find this story hard to
believe, but it is true.  The amazing thing is the negative propaganda persuaded
45 percent of Californians to vote against what reasonable people call "a
no-brainer."

For much more information, see CELSOC.org.  By the way, who's asking?

Tom Benson at Lowney Associates
1785 Locust Street, Suite 10
Pasadena, CA 91106-1614
(626) 396-1490
FAX: (626) 396-1491
Geotechnical & Environmental Engineering Services