RE: Flow drilling or Blind Bolting with HSS

Mick

>From your reply I would assume lindapter is interested in selling the
Hollo-Bolt in the US construction market.  This is good new.  I sent an
e-mail request for information to lindapter several weeks ago and have
recieved no response so I was not clear if the firm was interested.  If
lindapter wants me to specify their products they need to respond to my
basic requests for information.

It would be of interest to know how this product fits into US  codes. How
does it compare to a machine bolt (A307) or a high strength bolt (A325)?
What is the allowable stress?

Mark Gilligan

I have no specific experience of using Flowdrill but Corus (formerly
British
Steel) state in their publication TD384, which covers both Flowdrill &
Hollo-Bolt, that it is recommended for HSS from 3mm (1/8") up to a maximum
of 12mm (½") wall thickness in thread sizes M12 (½"), M16 (5/8"), M20 (¾")
&
M24 (1").
On the other hand Hollo-Bolt is available in sizes M8, M10, M12, M16 & M20.
It is available in 3 lengths per diameter which gives it a wide range of
clamping thickness. Projects which the Holl-Bolt has been used on in North
America are listed below. Further details can be had from Lindapter NA on
(888) 724 2323 or http://www.lindapter.com

Project: Regional Performing Arts Center - Philadelphia, PA
Specifier: Dewhurst Macfarlane & Partners Inc - NY, NY
Contractor: Helmark Steel - Wilmington, DE
25,000 x M10 purchased for tube splice connection.

Project: Central Soya - New Building constructed from structural tube
Specifier: Ganotta & Herner - Monroville, OH
Contractor: Thomas Steel, Inc - Bellevue, OH
770 x M20.

Project: Mono-pole communication towers
Specifier: Engineered Endeavors - Mentor, OH
Contractor: Engineered Endeavors - Mentor, OH
288 x M16

Project: Kentucky Speedway Circuit
Specifier: Dant-Clayton, LLC
Contractor: Dant-Guenthner, LLC - Louisville, KY
260 x M20

Project: Connection of horizontal and vertical lifeline systems to
structural tube.
Specifier: Fall Arrest Systems - Ann Arbor, MI
Contractor: Fall Arrest Systems - Ann Arbor, MI
M16 used continually since product introduction to US Market.

Project: Hibernia Off-Shore Platform
Specifier: Hibernia Management & Development Co
Contractor: Hibernia Management & Development Co
150 x M10 in Stainless Steel.

Regards
Mick
mknight(--nospam--at)lindapter.com<