Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Out of Plumb Residence need help on fix.

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
I currently live in a house that is out of plumb, doors are sticking and
some sliding glass doors do not function any more.

I think I have figured out what have caused this.  There is a driveway drain
that runs under the house out to the street.  I suspect the drain has broken
under the foundation and the soil is now expanding when it gets wet.  This,
I suspect, has caused the house to bow in the middle of the house.  This bow
is lightly noticeable in the floor, but the doors and windows are sticking.
The owner has decided that he will re-rout the broken drain, but he also
wants to find a way to fix the bowing of the house.

I believe that the only way to fix the house is to re-frame all the windows
and doors that are sticking and no long square.  But that does not fix the
floor from bowing.  Re-framing the floor can be very costly but may be the
only solution.  The other solution may be to leave the floor framing the way
it is, build up above the framing to level the floor and re-apply the

Does anyone else know of an inexpensive solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Marlou B. Rodriguez
Biggs Cardossa Associates Inc.
Structural Engineers
1871 The Alameda, Suite 200
San Jose, California 95126
408-296-5515 Fax 408-296-8114

Note:  The opinions that I write are my opinions and
are not necessarily the opinions of BCA.