Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Out of Plumb Residence need help on fix.

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Your suspicions concerning an expansive soil problem is probably right.
Although the problem may be a broken drain, you should determine if any water is
coming into the foundation and under the house from any other source.  Once you
determined that there is no more moisture intrusion, then you can start
correcting the out-of-plumb problems.

There are some foundation corrections company's on the Peninsula that have done
many of these projects.  I would contact one of them for some advice.  Some have
patented screw jacks that will raise the foundation back to it's original
position.  The interior individual footings and any continuous footings can be
done this way.  After this has been accomplished and you have waited a period of
time to determine that there is no more movement is happening, then have the
cosmetic repairs done.

When the house is releveled, I would expect that the sticking doors and windows
should become operable again.

Neil Moore, S.E.

"Rodriguez, Marlou" wrote:

> I currently live in a house that is out of plumb, doors are sticking and
> some sliding glass doors do not function any more.
> I think I have figured out what have caused this.  There is a driveway drain
> that runs under the house out to the street.  I suspect the drain has broken
> under the foundation and the soil is now expanding when it gets wet.  This,
> I suspect, has caused the house to bow in the middle of the house.  This bow
> is lightly noticeable in the floor, but the doors and windows are sticking.
> The owner has decided that he will re-rout the broken drain, but he also
> wants to find a way to fix the bowing of the house.
> I believe that the only way to fix the house is to re-frame all the windows
> and doors that are sticking and no long square.  But that does not fix the
> floor from bowing.  Re-framing the floor can be very costly but may be the
> only solution.  The other solution may be to leave the floor framing the way
> it is, build up above the framing to level the floor and re-apply the
> flooring.
> Does anyone else know of an inexpensive solution to this problem.
> Thanks in advance.
> *************************************************************
> Marlou B. Rodriguez