Re: Wood Shear Wall Allowable Values

Dan

well, with all of this, did the contractor use the common nails or the box
nails?. There may be an instant 20 % reduction if the contractor used the
sinker nails vs the common nails. The way I see it is as follows: a) you
already know you have a condition that does not meet the code.  B) If there
were any sort of litigation, it  would end up in your lap since you are
aware of it and know it does not meet the minimum code requirments.  I
suggest you should have the contractor start over to meet your
specifications and conform to minimun standards of care  for construction.
You would be hard pressed to justify at court that the wall is adequate
even if you can justify reduced allowable loads if the construction is in
violation of standards of care.
Samir Y. Ghosn, P.E.
Harris &Assoociates