RE: seaint Digest for 22 Nov 2000

Marlou,
I also agree that you should mitigate the problem first. If the resolution
results in differential settlement over the entire structure, I would
recommend you look at the possible use of Helical Anchors such as those from
A.B. Chance - Chance Anchors. I've used them on a project (which has not yet
been constructed) and they were designed to be left in position so that the
anchor rods were buried in a box which could be accessed for future
adjustments. The anchors are designed to capacity based on calculated torque
of the anchor. Spacing is based on the capability of the foundation "beam"
to carry an unsupported load - generally around 10'-0" on center. The
advantage to the Helical anchor is that it is adjustable which mud-jacking
is not.

We have a problem that we determined was due to the increased population in
the Palm Springs area. The water table was dropping as were most of the
building throughout the valley. In La Quinta, the problem was compounded by
a rock ridge from an adjacent mountain range that went subterranean below a
Post and Beam private golf course club house. A portion of the building was
hanging up on the bedrock while other portions remained on soil. As the
water table dropped, the section of the building on soil continued to fall
even after extensive pressure grouting. The solution is the helical anchors.

The valley plans to use the Salton Sea cleanup project to infuse the soil
throughout the valley with the water from the Colorado River that flows into
the Salton Sea. The time span to repair the deficit is approximately 35
years. The Helical anchors come in handy because they can be unscrewed as
the grade rises once the infusion process starts.

On a side note, we spent almost three years to discover this problem. A
month ago, the Coachella Valley Water district took credit for the discovery
and it became front page news. Imagine that:o)

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net
AEC-Residential Listservice
admin(--nospam--at)structuralist.net
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax

discussion forums at"

subscription (always free). To subscribe send an e-mail to one of the
following addresses:

For Full Listservice:  	aec-residential-request(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc
For Digest Format:	aec-residential-digest-request(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc

To subscribe OR Unsubscribe - enter one of the following words in the body
of the message and send. Do not place information in the subject line as it
will be ignored.

subscribe

unsubscribe

              Body of the Message (without "quotes" of course!)