Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Out of Plumb Residence need help on

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Since correcting expansive soils problems is always a trial and error 
situation, and since you have a crawl space under your house, probably the 
easiest and least expensive thing for the owner to try first would be to 
install a forced air system running 24-hours a day, 365/366 days a year to 
dry out the soil under the house.  This could be connected to one of the 
vents in the wall to either blow in or draw out air from the crawl space.

You would, of course, have to work out an arrangement with the owner so that 
he would share part of the electric bill.  (He might be so glad to be getting 
"free" professional advice that he would pick up the entire electric bill.)

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Marlou Rodriguez wrote:

>>The floor framing system is a continuous wall footing under load bearing
walls with floor joist about 18" above grade.  Patios are slab on grade with
thickened slab at edges (assumed).<<