QUERY: Bond Beam Spacing Requirements

Another in a series of "I should know this but..." questions.

I could have sworn there were requirements (in UBC at least) for minimum spacing
of bond beams in a reinforced CMU wall, but I cannot find ANYTHING that even
mentions this in the 1997 UBC, nor in Amrhein's "Reinforced Masonry Engineering
Handbook". Am I just dreaming this?

Or is it a rule of thumb I'm remembering from those thrilling days of
yesteryear.