Re: QUERY: Bond Beam Spacing Requirements

<<<Bill Polhemus wrote:

Another in a series of "I should know this but..." questions.

I could have sworn there were requirements (in UBC at least) for minimum spacing
of bond beams in a reinforced CMU wall, but I cannot find ANYTHING that even
mentions this in the 1997 UBC, nor in Amrhein's "Reinforced Masonry Engineering
Handbook". Am I just dreaming this?

Or is it a rule of thumb I'm remembering from those thrilling days of
yesteryear. >>>

UBC Sections 2106.1.12.3 and 2106.1.12.4 specify minimum reinforcing ratios depending upon seismic zone.  In seismic zones 3 and 4, maximum reinforcing spacing is 4 feet (2106.1.12.4.2.2.3).  Bond beams are not specifically required, though.  You can use joint reinforcing to satisfy minimum reinforcing requirements.

Jason Emoto