Re: QUERY: Bond Beam Spacing Requirement

Jason Emoto wrote:

>>UBC Sections 2106.1.12.3 and 2106.1.12.4 specify minimum reinforcing ratios
depending upon seismic zone.  In seismic zones 3 and 4, maximum reinforcing
spacing is 4 feet (2106.1.12.4.2.2.3).<<

But beware of the UBC reinforcing requirements for Seismic Zone 2!  These
reinforcing requirements are the result of HUD tests for *small* (< 2500 sf),
lightly loaded, single story, one- or two-family residences and were somehow
extrapolated to be permitted for buildings of *any* occupancy, height, and

>>Bond beams are not specifically required, though. You can use joint
reinforcing to satisfy minimum reinforcing requirements.<<

If you carefully read brochures for joint reinforcing such as produced by
Dur-O-Wal and AA, I think that you will find that joint reinforcing is
restricted to crack control usage, and is not authorized to resist stress.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona