Re: QUERY: Bond Beam Spacing Requirement

>>Roger Turk wrote:

If you carefully read brochures for joint reinforcing such as produced by
Dur-O-Wal and AA, I think that you will find that joint reinforcing is
restricted to crack control usage, and is not authorized to resist stress.<<

Really?  The product literature I have from Dur-O-Wal clearly states that joint reinforcing may be used for both crack control and principal reinforcing.  Also, UBC Section 2106.1.12.4.2.2.3 states that "joint reinforcement may be considered as a part or all of the requirement for minimum reinforcing".

Of course, the loading on the wall may dictate use of more than minimum reinforcing.  I always specify bond beams as horizontal reinforcing for major structural elements in large structures.  But for some applications, joint reinforcing should be adequate.

Jason Emoto