Re: Reamer/Belling Bucket Toppling

REAMER/BELLING BUCKET TOPPLING

A man was killed on a construction site in New Zealand recently when a 4.5 tonne, 1.2 metre diameter, 3.5 metre high reamer/belling bucket fell over on him.

The device is used for belling out the bottom of bored concrete foundation piles and it has been sitting upright on the ground unattached, when it toppled on its circular base and crushed the man.

Our sister company is preparing a report on the geotechnical aspects and unfortunately we are not able to disclose more details at this stage.

Any comments on the following inter alia would be appreciated:

·        Other toppling failures of reamers

·        Codes of practice for handling reamers

·        Effect of placing reamer on soft ground

·        Analysis of incremental toppling of a reamer on a circular base with increasing bearing capacity and decreasing segmental contact stress.

Anyone wishing to compare notes on a confidential basis could contact me on abuild(--nospam--at)xtra.co.nz

Thank you in anticipation.

ABUILDengineer.com Ltd
Roy G Taylor
Peng (British Columbia)