Re: modeling of elastomeric bearing

Mete BAYKIR wrote:

> hi everybody ;
>
> to those who are interested in bridge design ;
>
> i am modeling a bridge which has a sharp horizontal curve using sap2000.
>
> - how do you model elastomeric bearings? do u take it as an element which
> has its own stifness? or do you use only constraints in your model.
>
> - and what about the expansion joints? how do u model an expansion joint on
> a bridge model ?
>
> - we are faced with big problems with the curved geometry, i.e huge moments
> at our piers(we can not model it as if it was horizontal .. subtended angle
> is bigger than 30 deg. as told in AASHTO) What may be done to idealize a
> curved bridge behaviour?
>
> thank you very much..
>
> best regards,
>
> mete

hello mete
i am not familiar with the capabilities of the software you are using  however
if you                                                                  can
introduce spring elements then iam sure you know the formulae for trans'l and
rotational
stiffness k=AG/h =(Η/δ)  units kN/m and M/θ=(B^5)LG/(t^3) in kNm/rad
this is what we typically use and hope that also suit your needs.
regards
j.n.sigalas