Steel Section Properties

Frank (and others),

It would really help us narrow down our search (and answers) if you could
give an idea of the approximate date that the building was constructed.  For
example, I found one 27WF91 that was rolled in 1902, and another that was
rolled in 1933.  Design strength would probably be more affected by the
difference in the two dates than section properties, though.

As far as determining beam size of steel sections of composite beams, make
sure that they really have been designed as composite beams.  Encasing beams
in concrete was one very common method of providing fire resistance.  You
might have some small holes cut in the floor to see if there are channels or
a spiral rod or other device welded to the top flange.  If you don't have
channels or a spiral rod welded to the top flange, then you can bet that the
concrete was for fire resistance.  If you do have these welded to the top
flange, then remove concrete from a section of the beam sufficient to get
measurements.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Frank Tehrani wrote:

>>Hi everybody,
1- I have call out for three steel sections in an old
structural plan which I couldn't find in my