Steel Section Properties

Frank,

My AISC Manual, 5th Edition, Copyright 1947, Twentieth Printing 1956, says in
the preface,

"In Part I. the tables of available rolled shapes have of necessity been
radically revised, to conform to the lists agreed upon by industry since the
close of the war and contained in 'Simplified Practice Recommendation
R-216-46' of the United States Department of Commerce, National Bureau of
Standards, issued February, 1946."

I would therefore venture a guess that the designer was using an older AISC
(or other) manual (as some of us are wont to do when a new manual comes out),
so I would presume that the following sections were provided in lieu of the
specified sections:

10WF39 for 10WF37
12WF27 for 12WF25
27WF94 for 27WF91

Allowable Tension Stress in bending:  20,000 psi

Allowable Compression Stress in bending:

   ld/bt <= 600      20,000 psi
   ld/bt >  600      12,000,000/(ld/bt)

where,
   l is the unsupported length of the compression flange,
   d is the depth of the member
   b is the flange width
   t is the thickness of the compression flange

>From 1939 - ~1960, the structural steel for bridges and buildings was A7,
with a specified minimum yield strength of 33,000 psi.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Frank Tehrani wrote:

>>Hi everybody,
1- I have call out for three steel sections in an old
structural plan which I couldn't find in my