Perforated Shearwalls

It is my understanding the the State of Oregon is on the verge of approving the use of the Perforated Shearwall design criteria in their state building code. I reviewed the minutes from the State of Oregon Department of Consumer and Business Services - Building Codes Structures Board which I believe was from June or August of this year. The November minutes indicated that the perforated wall methodology had not yet been approved because of some objections from SEA of Oregon that needed to be resolved. The minutes I read indicated that the State BCSB was leaning to accept adopt the methodology based on what they considered a tested and proven system backed by AF&PA.

I am interested in the opinions of others as I have some personal reservations on perforated walls. My greatest concern is that the success of the system lies in the adherence to detailing and quality of construction. In other words, a perforated wall in which the sill plate is broken to accommodate plumbing or electrical may, in my opinion, compromise the system. I do see it as an improvement to prescriptive methods if NAHB and other builder organizations are willing to adopt it in place of the current UBC 2320 in higher risk zones.

On the other hand, when we are under so much pressure in design to accommodate wall stiffness to diaphragm torsion, I would think that the perforated wall system would be difficult to accommodate and work into the full-compliance design methodology.

Although Oregon has every right to adopt any code or methodology they choose, I believe it would be in the best interest of the engineering community to have some sort of solidarity in this issue. Don't misunderstand, I am not against perforated walls - in my opinion, the jury is still out on the issue until I understand what information is missing for regions of higher risk.

I would be interested in opinions?

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for: