Re: Rush work charges (not a structural issue)

Frank:

Actually this is a very relevant issue.  The contractor has asked you to do
a crash project because he now realizes that his employee, who may not
actually be a registered engineer, cannot perform this particular project.

If you are near the El Dorado County area, which I surmise from your fax
number you are, don't do this job as there is so much work around that you
can pick and choose.  Call me if you want some small building or
residential work as I'm referring the many calls I get to the other local
civil and structural engineers.

If you do take this job, ask for a healthy deposit and when you submit the
project to him, get your payment at that time.  In many of these "instant
engineering" projects for desperate "clients", there is usually a delay of
payment.  You may also find that this client's projects are all done this
way.  "Instant engineering" projects are also prone to mistakes or possibly
you may not be furnished all of the pertinent data.

Bottom line:  beware.

Neil Moore, S.E.
530 677-4308