Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

(no subject)

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]


You do not have to provide the ICBO number; here's a way to get around it:
1. establish an extensive testing program for the specific product that you 
want to use. Keep in mind that the product is not covered by standard code 
calculations, otherwise it would not be a "product" or "device"
2. Pay a (rather large) fee to have it evaluated by the building agengy that 
you deal with
3. Hire Lab, do the testing
4. Submit results to the agency, with a statistical analysis, etc.
5. Go back after a year to take your approval, if you're lucky.

My point is that others (manufacturers of the specific product or device) 
have already done that for you. When you write "ITW expansion anchors" or 
"TJI" on a plan there is nothing in the Code that mentions such things. Then 
why should they be acceptable? because the manufacturer demonstrated once 
that they are and wrote the allowable values and method of installation in 
the ICBO. By writing the ICBO # on the plan, you define by reference all 
these propertis. Simpler than the way around suggested above.
Mike Ciortea