Link to Perforated Shearwall Monotonic and Cyclic Research reports

Jay Crandell mentioned the soon to be released studies for NAHB on
Perforated Shearwalls with braced corners. I was able to locate the
documents on the Virginia Polytechnic Wood Engineering board and reference
them on a discussion forum posting for easy retrieval and reference. It also
includes all documents (PDF format) for perforated shearwalls tested by VT
for NAHB and for the American Forest and Paper Association (AF&PA).

In addition, I have extracted the minutes from the state of Oregon
Department of Consumer and Business Services - Building Codes Structures
Board meeting of April 2000 that was the last published minutes which
discusses the proposed acceptance of their section 2315-99-1 for Perforated
Shearwalls. The minutes indicate that SEA of Oregon does not support the
provisions but has recommended an alternative to the National Earthquake
Hazards Reduction Program (NEHRP) 2000 Ballot No. 7-17 which was in draft at
the time of this meeting.

You can find the provisions by links provided on the Structuralist.Net web
page at
http://www.structuralist.net/professional.htm
The link is located along the left side of the page under the Technical
Discussion heading. The body of this page has also been updated with a
summary of other services available on the Portal and Reference pages.

I invite you to participate in the discussion on the Structuralist forum. It
is important to start reviewing this information and discuss the issues as a
professional community.

Finally, I have taken exception to a comment from Jay Crandell, PE (NAHB-RC)
in his 12/5/00 post [RE: [AEC-Residential] Perforated Shearwalls] in which
he states:
"  It is unfair to expect busy professionals (and builders for that matter)
to just naturally be attracted to great opportunities to waste time in
mindless and uncertain debate."
I am posting a separate post to respond to this. Please be aware that I have
taken this out of context and in my response will replace the entire post so
that Jays comments can be interpreted by other fairly.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net