From: Steven Mallett [mailto:smallett(--nospam--at)dillon.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 4:48 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Wind Turbine Foundations

I am looking for information on design guidelines for foundations for wind
turbines, i.e. big overturning moment. This proposed wind turbine has a
200 foot high steel tubular post, 150 foot diameter rotor. Approximate
forces are vertical load of 150 kips, horizontal load of 120 kips, and
overturning moment of 15,000 ft.kips.

Foundation material will be sandstone (about 5 ksf allowable bearing)
with 8 feet overburden. I would appreciate some reference to where I
could find foundation design information for something of this magnitude
and dynamic load implications.

Thanks,
Steven A. Mallett, P.Eng.

Dillon Consulting Ltd.